Developing skipper and crew skills
Equinox Sailing has developed a number of courses to allow skippers and crew to progress their skills and experience. These courses are designed to concentrate on a variety of skills to allow you to develop that area or perhaps to act as a refresher.
Maybe you have your RYA Competent Crew and are interested in working towards your RYA Day Skipper. If you already have your RYA Day Skipper then perhaps you’re interested in working towards your RYA Coastal Skipper.
The following courses can help by allowing you to concentrate on increasing your skills while reinforcing what you have already learnt.
Spend a weekend refreshing your RYA Competent Crew skills with a qualified RYA Instructor helping you bridge the gap between RYA Competent Crew and RYA Day Skipper whilst learning some new skills.
- Piloting in and out of harbours
- Anchoring under engine
- Picking up a mooring buoy under engine
- Basic berthing and un-berthing.
Spend a weekend refreshing your RYA Day Skipper skills with a qualified RYA Instructor. If you are looking to bridge the gap between RYA Day Skipper and RYA Coastal Skipper then learn some new skills.
- Refreshing Day Skipper skills
- Advanced pilotage techniques
- Advanced boat handling under sail and engine
RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Theory (known as RYA Yachtmaster Theory)
The RYA Yachtmaster Theory course is an advanced navigation course. It is advisable that anyone wishing to attend the RYA Yachtmaster Theory course has completed their RYA Day Skipper Theory first. Some provision is made to recap subjects covered in RYA Day Skipper Theory and experienced sailors may have enough background knowledge to attend.
The RYA Yachtmaster Theory course is a continuation of the RYA Day Skipper Theory course with more emphasis on improving your understanding of navigation by introducing the techniques needed to plan coastal and offshore passages.
- Learn additional techniques for plotting your position and how GPS works.
- Learn how to calculate tidal heights for secondary ports and how to calculate the strength of tidal streams between spring and neap tides.
- Gain a greater understanding of IRPCS (International Regulation for Preventing Collisions at Sea) and navigating at night.
- Learn why some boats are safer offshore and a greater understanding of the weather to allow longer passages.
- Learn the precautions to be taken when sailing in fog and the associated sound signals.
The RYA Yachtmaster Theory course can be completed as a classroom-based course over evenings and weekends.
Interactive Online Course
The course is also available as an Interactive Online Course that can be completed at your own leisure. Full instructor support is provided with the interactive course should you have any problems.
RYA Coastal Skipper (Practical)
The RYA Coastal Skipper course is for those people who wish to develop the skills and techniques required to skipper a boat on coastal and offshore passages by day and by night. It is advisable that anyone wishing to attend the RYA Coastal Skipper course has completed the RYA Yachtmaster Theory course first.
- Learn to plan a longer passage with considerations for ports of refuge, multiple tidal gates and weather windows. Experience a watch system and night sailing while the boat is on a passage.
- Learn what additional safety equipment may be needed for offshore passages to keep you and your crew safe at night.
- Learn to take charge of a yacht and direct your crew taking into account crew abilities, weather and the sea state.
- Gain confidence in handling a boat in confined spaces under sail and power, learn advanced techniques to safely berth and un-berth a boat in a variety of wind and tide conditions.
- Explore advanced sailing techniques and preparation for heavy weather and yacht handling in strong winds.
- Practise recovery of a man overboard under sail and power in case you encounter engine problems and navigating in restricted visibility.
After your course
By the end of your course you should have the skills and confidence to skipper a boat by day and night on coastal and offshore passages. Is the RYA Coastal Skipper practical course right for me?